Membership in USSONAR should be considered by rheumatologists and allied health professionals with interest and experience in musculoskeletal ultrasound. Members are encouraged to contribute towards the major aims and projects of the school.
USSONAR has three aims:
- Fostering the training of physicians and allied health professionals in ultrasonography for the diagnosis, monitoring and treatment of arthritis and musculoskeletal disorders.
- Establishing standards of competency in ultrasound image acquisition, interpretation and reporting.
- Promoting research in the field of musculoskeletal ultrasound.
Benefits include educational material for training in musculoskeletal ultrasound. All of these materials have been used to train rheumatology fellows in ultrasound for the past 7 years and have been updated based on feedback from over 100 fellows and post-fellowship rheumatologists. The materials are updated yearly to keep pace with the rapidly developing field and were developed with a focus on rheumatologists. They include both written and video formats as follows:
- PDF guide to scanning of normal adult musculoskeletal anatomy. This includes chapters on fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, ankles, and toes, as well as transducer manipulation, machine adjustments, and Doppler use.
- PDF guide to scanning of normal pediatric musculoskeletal anatomy including ultrasound images from children ages 3,5,8, and 11.
- PDF guide to adult musculoskeletal ultrasound pathology with chapters on each of the joint regions above, and a focus on problems encountered by the rheumatologist.
- PDF guide to pediatric musculoskeletal ultrasound pathology.
- PDF guide to musculoskeletal ultrasound guided needle placement. This includes images of needle placement for all of the commonly performed injections and discussion of the specific technical detail, and pros and cons for each injection type.
- Video demonstrations for scanning of each of the 8 peripheral joint regions.
- Video demonstration for scanning subtalar joint of the ankle (New)
- Videos of lectures on basic pathology seen by rheumatologists performing musculoskeletal ultrasound at each joint region (6 total lectures)
- Video lecture on Doppler adjustment, advanced machine settings, and ultrasound physics (NEW)
- Video lecture on "MSUS Pitfalls" (NEW)
- Video lecture on "Sjogren's by MSUS" (NEW)
- Video demonstration of ultrasound guided needle placement. (1 available, 2 more under development)
- Quarterly newly published MSUS article review
- Suggested reading assignments include quiz questions to test your knowledge.
The membership dues are $150 and will be used to help sponsor rheumatology fellow education in musculoskeletal ultrasound through the USSONAR program.
Please note memberships expire at the end of May each year regardless of the time membership is obtained. If you wish to apply for membership in April or May please contact us to have your membership extended through the following year.